Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Course Reflection 02

I have found these last four classes very interesting. I like how we have moved on from the basic definitions and types of design and are starting to explore the ways design is applied in a greater context, such as accessibility and design for the world.
In one class, we watched the video “The Deep Dive.” After starting the video, I remembered that I have already seen this video in one of my engineering classes. I found it interesting that even though I thought the “Deep Dive” design process was only applicable to engineers, it also involves industrial designers as well. I really like this video because it gives an overview of the design process and kind of answers the question “How did they come up with this?”

I also really enjoyed the lecture on accessibility. I found it interesting how some products are designed for handicapped people, but often these also help the general public. I thought the video on the new wheelchair was very inspiring, although it is a shame that the product is not surviving on the market.

The next lecture consisted of our Scavenger Hunt. I really liked getting outside of the classroom and exploring all of the famous buildings and pieces that are on campus. I also really like the fact that the libraries on campus have some of these expensive designer chairs. I think it is a nice touch to the libraries!

The last lecture was probably my favorite so far. We discussed creating environmentally friendly products. I really liked all the videos that we watched in class. My favorite was probably the video on the new Life Saver Bottle. I think this is a really cool design and I hope it becomes popular in areas that need it. I also really enjoyed the video on biomimicry. Sometimes I am amazed about the complexity of nature and the ecological systems and I was neat to learn more about it.

Overall, I have enjoyed this class and look forward to more lectures!

No comments:

Post a Comment